Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Succulent 1 Pastel Painting


I have decided to create this blog to reflect me, my thoughts, creations and whatever I might be doing in my life. This is a place where I can post creations, ideas, practice projects, and you name it. These projects may be paintings, drawings, crochet, sewing projects, photographs, plants, poetry, pottery and the list goes on.

The painting above was painted using soft and hard pastels. The photo is not a good one but it's the only one I had at the time. It's actually a little darker than it appears in the photo. I can't seem to stop working on it. Every time I look at it I want to fix something. I desire for it to look more realistic and I think that is why I keep working on it. I have placed several layers of pastel pigment and fixative and I don't want to over do it.
When Joseph (my husband) and I were living downtown there was this lonely little succulent growing at the edge of the wooden fence in the back yard. I took a photo of it and decided to paint it. We live in an apartment now and I have a small patio filled with plants. I have spent many hours on that patio painting this picture. While the world around me is buzzing around like a frenzied bee I enjoy my quiet hours out on my patio with my plants and pastels. Somehow I find God there sitting and talking to me like an old friend. There is a peace that comes over me and I feel tremendous joy. I named this painting Succulent 1 because I plan to paint more succulents in the future. Perhaps I will get better the more I paint.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Welcome Rubylicious!!! I love reading your thoughts....they are so insightful--You have so much to share....so much inside of you just bursting to come out!! We love you!!!